Saturday, April 28, 2012

Identity Crisis: Who do you say I am?

****Note: This is a continuation of my previous post, "Identity Crisis:Who am I?".  See the previous post first.

The Lord spoke.  It caught me off guard, but I knew exactly what He was saying and why He was saying it.  I was immediately convicted, and repented for making God feel the way I had felt because I was hurting. 

I had gotten myself in so much of a tizzy, and instead of coming to the Lord with my problems and my insecurity I had totally bypassed Him.  Sorry to admit, I liked having my fit, my pity party.  There are a few things God taught me, and still has to remind me of from time to time, that I'd like to share. 

On January 19, 2011 I wrote in my journal and I want to share with you some of what I wrote:
"Even though I've been boxed in, labelled, judged, misunderstood, etc that has not been the object of this life lesson.  How people have treated me is not what my focus should be on.  Who I am in the worldly sense is not important at all!  I've been so down and distressed that people don't look at me in the way I do myself.  The only opinion I should care about is the Lord's.  My identity is in Jesus Christ.  While He has blessed me with being born in a great country--my birthright is within God's kingdom--not of the one's in this world (Philippians 3:20)". 

You see I was so bent on being accepted by the standards of this world.  Honestly, the "labels" are temporary, they will someday pass away and what will be left?  When you get caught up in checking the world's boxes, you're surely headed for destruction, depression and fear.  BUT, when you fully come to terms with who you are in the eyes of God, then you're on a path toward joy and contentment. 

I put God in a box all the time.  As people we have standards and limits.  Our minds have limits--God is limitless.  All things are possible with God (Matthew 19:26).  Think about it, what does God call himself?  "I am."  He is everything. 

Think about this:  people tear you down to elevate themselves.  Father God sent His son, Jesus Christ (who is fully God, fully man) to live among us sinners for a purpose--that those who tore down, demeaned, and crucified Jesus (our sins were upon Him) might someday be elevated and adopted into the Kingdom of God.  Wow. 

So just as Jesus asked Peter, He asks us, "Who is it that you say I am?"  Recognize who God is, get to know Him before boxing Him in.  He is a big God, much to big and much too great to be placed in our small box.  Allow Him to be who He says He is in your life.  Since I've stopped boxing Him in, and spent more and more time with Him, He truly is mighty in power. 

Lastly, one of my absolute favorite chapters in the Bible is Job 38 "The Lord Speaks".  It's awesome and shows just how BIG God is! 

Selah.   

No comments:

Post a Comment