Thursday, April 26, 2012

Rest easy, His ways are greater

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.  (v.9) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT)

Have you ever failed at something you worked so hard to do?  Have you begun something and just couldn't finish?  Have you grown weary in your own limited strength?  I have.

I'm a very driven person--career-oriented,hard working, headstrong.... I completed my bachelor's degree in 3 years, then immediately moved to London, UK for one year to complete my master's degree.  I've been on the go my entire life, no breaks, not even during the summers in between semesters.  I was always taking courses, interning, filling my time ruthlessly.  By the time I had begun to write my MA thesis I was burnt out.  By the time I completed it I couldn't settle my mind--it was going 100miles per minute.  I'm the type of person who likes being busy, I thrive off of being pressed for time and do my best under pressure.  But what do you do when all of a sudden that isn't there?

Here's the point.  I moved back home in Sept. 2011, and really began the job search.  By December, I'd gone for one interview and was hoping that would be the job for me.  From the time I got home until about January 2012, I was panicking, worrying, anxiety was setting in.  What am I to do?  Where am I to go?  I had no peace.  I was living in fear of the unknown.  Instead of resting in the arms of the Lord, I wasn't resting period.  I didn't sleep and I was physically, spiritually and mentally draining myself.  All the job postings were the same as the week before/day before and I began to wonder if all the studying I'd done in Middle East politics was really worth it.  I finally ran out of steam and was so weary and down trodden.  I remember praying to God to "change my heart, my interests and my priorities" if they were not right with Him.  And so He did...and is still doing.  This blog is one of the results.

So, here we are in April and something is different.  I am content.  I have joy.  I have a peace which is far surpassing my little understanding.  I still don't know exactly what it is God has in store for me, but I know it is far beyond anything I could imagine or think. 

It's a difficult thing to try and carry the weight of the world on your shoulders.  Sometimes we have to walk through a wilderness time to come to the complete end of ourselves in order that the Lord God, creator of heaven and earth, who knows the number of hairs on your head can come in and spring up a new thing within us.  Stop worrying, all it does is steal your joy and ability to rest.  Rest in God, give Him the chance to work through you.  The more of "you" you throw into your circumstances, the less room there is for "Him".  Rest in the arms of the Father.  His plans and purposes are greater.  They're designed to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

Selah. 


No comments:

Post a Comment